for the parent, with love
Period talk with your daughter before she hits her period is highly essential because it is convenient for your daughter to know about menstruation which makes it easier for her to be prepared for what happens and what needs to be done during periods. This way your daughter is ready to take on periods any day.
The appropriate age to speak about periods could be a year before the average first-period age (12 years). The age when a girl hits her First period may vary from person to person. It’s best to let them know by the time they turn 10/11 years old.
When it comes to explaining to your loved ones about periods, it’s not rocket science. It’s just a matter of how comfortable you make the environment for them as well as yourself to speak freely about menstruation without any judgments.
The huge variety of pads may overwhelm you and most parents just stick to the pads that are or have been convenient to them. But it is essential to understand that though she might be your daughter again her body is different. Some pads might be apt for her while some may cause inconvenience to her. It is best to research and consult a gynecologist before choosing her pads. Some of the pads that have been proven to have no allergic components are from the brands Nua and Pee Safe which produce organic pads.
A lot of parents are scared of their daughters hitting periods. It is understandable as first periods can be overwhelming to the parents as well because most of us do not know what to do if our child hits their periods and it is perfectly fine to feel so. This can just be another challenge that you as a parent has to face but again it’s no rocket science if it’s being handled with love, care, and understanding your feeling of insecurity will go away with time.
Generally, the average age of girls hitting their first periods is after their sexual organs start developing which is around 12 years of age. However, the age when a girl hits her first period varies from person to person, hence, it is better to keep your daughter Period-Ready before she hits the 12-year age mark.
Tracking your daughter’s periods is very essential as it helps to find out any irregular patterns of your daughter’s periods. It is important to keep a check on period patterns as they may indicate any changes in the body that might require medical attention.
- Listen to your daughter to what she has to say and try to be accepting of her.
- There might be certain things that she might be curious about, don’t be impatient with her in any way as it might make her frightened.
- Talk about your own period experiences so that it makes your daughter relate to you and will lead her to be more open towards you.
- Let your daughter do her favorite activity and encourage her to do so because she will eventually feel happy and content.
Try not to be awkward when you approach her, this will lead to unsuccessful communication. Explain to your daughter that periods are a natural process and there is no shame in talking about it freely. Periods are something that not only affects girls but also men in their lives. It is important being a father to address your daughter’s period concerns.
Another major factor to keep in mind as a father is to educate yourself on periods. You can do so by researching or talking to women around you. Make sure that you are prepared before you plan on having a period of conversation with your daughter.
Keep track of your daughter’s period Cycles, if any change is noticed for 2 or more period cycles it’s best advised to consult a Gynecologist.
- Not to overwhelm her with period information
- Cross-check the information and facts about periods that you might tell your daughter about.
- Avoid superstitious practices that might harm your loved one’s feelings.
- Make sure to not impose any sort of taboos or myths on her.
- Ensure that the period talks are not scary or difficult for your loved one.
- Avoid stopping her from doing her favorite activity.